Help >>Smart meters>> What data do you take from my smart meter, and why?
What data do you take from my smart meter, and why?
With a smart meter, we can collect details of the energy supply to your home and your energy use, and monitor your meter to make sure it’s working properly.
When we take data from your smart meter, we’ll tell you what we’re going to do with the information, and the choices you can make about this.
When and how do you take the information from my smart meter?
Your smart meter is in constant communication with our systems. This means we’re always up to date with the amount of energy you’re using, and can tell quickly if there is any interruption to your supply.
We can check the information from your smart meter at any time, and use it to:
- Manage your energy supply, and spot any problems as soon as they happen.
- Help us (and the energy industry as a whole) to work more efficiently.
- Give you relevant advice to help you reduce your energy use and lower your bills.
- Improve our service to you and our other customers.
- Keep an eye on our products and services and give us ideas for new ones.
- Identify and stop energy theft.
- Develop and manage energy supply and demand.
- Work out your bills (if you’re a PAYM customer), so they’re always up to date and accurate.
If we need to use the information for anything else, we’ll get in touch with you first to explain why and talk it through with you.
If you contact us with a question about your Boost account, we might need to take some details from your smart meter, but we’ll tell you before we do. We won’t take any information about individual appliances in your home, unless it affects a product or service you’re using.
Does this mean you’ll never need to visit my home?
We may need to come round every now and then to do a safety inspection, carry out repairs or install a replacement smart meter if there are any problems.
Can you read my In-Home Display (IHD) remotely?
If you’ve got an IHD with your smart meter, it can show you how much energy you’re using in real time. We can’t see this – all we can see is the total amount of energy you’ve used between meter readings. However, we may occasionally need to see your real-time energy use if it affects a Boost product or service you’re using.
We may also use your IHD to send you messages.
Where can I find a guide to my rights and choices regarding smart meter data?
Just click on the data guide link on the UK Energy website.