We're changing PAYG+ to PAYG Smart. Here's everything you need to know...
We started carefully moving PAYG+ customers to PAYG Smart. But because of colder weather and lockdown, we’ve paused any new moves until the new year. Here’s everything you need to know about the change.
How PAYG Smart will work
- Top up anywhere, anytime - in the new app or at PayPoint shops as usual
- Enjoy some breathing space - get £5 emergency credit straight from each of your meters, or call us if you need more
- Always be in the know - if you've got an In-Home Display, this can tell you how much energy you're using and alert you when you're low on credit (find out about In-Home Displays)
- And if you run out of credit on weekdays between 4pm and 10am, or anytime on weekends and bank holidays - we'll make sure you don't lose power
What's different on PAYG Smart
- You'll get a new Boost app - we'll tell you all about it in a few weeks and give you a link to download it
- You can't track your energy use in the new app - but you can do it with the help of your In-Home Display (if you have one)
- £30 Emergency Boost won't be available in the new app - but you can activate £5 straight from each of your meters, or simply call us if you need more
- Our text, email, and app credit alerts will stop - but an In-Home Display can tell you when you're running low If you don't have an In-Home Display and want to get one, we'll be sending more info about how to do this, when we move you to PAYG Smart. We'll tell you all about these changes in more detail below.
Why is my move to PAYG Smart being paused?
We’ve been carefully moving customers in small groups to make sure we do things properly – and are on hand to help them. But with the added pressure of lockdown and the colder weather, we've decided to pause any further moves until the new year. We want our focus to be on helping people with what's going on right now, instead.
How do I know if I’ve already been moved to PAYG Smart?
You’re on PAYG smart if we’ve emailed or written to you with instructions on setting up our new app, Boost Top-up.
How do I know if I’m still on PAYG+?
You’re still on PAYG+ if we’ve emailed or written to explain we’re pausing your move until next year. We’ll be in touch again before your move starts. You can keep using the PAYG+ app until then.
I’m on PAYG Smart – can I go back to being on PAYG+?
Unfortunately, this won’t be possible. We’re putting a hold on making changes to energy plans until the new year, which is when everyone will be on PAYG Smart.
What changes will happen when I move to Smart PAYG next year?
We'll simply move it to your new account. If you have dual fuel (that's both electricity and gas), your credit will be split 50/50. So we'll move half onto your electricity meter - and half onto your gas meter.
We'll move it to your PAYG Smart balance. You'll see it on your electricity meter, and pay it back at exactly the same rate as before.
No, once you move to PAYG Smart, your balance will only show on your meter's screen and In-Home Display. But you'll be able to see a history of the top-ups you make in the app.
The new PAYG Smart app: Boost Top-up
We’ll have written to you already with instructions on how to download and log in.
If we’ve already written to explain your move to PAYG Smart is being paused until next year, you can carry on using the PAYG+ app until we get in touch again next year – we’ll give you plenty of notice.
If we’ve written to ask you to download the new app, please follow the instructions to get set up. If we haven’t been in touch about the new app, please continue to use the PAYG+ until the start of next year – we’ll give you plenty of notice before any changes.
Once you have downloaded the Boost Top-up app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store:
- Open the app, tap Sign In, then tap Forgot password.
- Enter the email address we've been using to contact you on and press Next.
- Next, choose a new password.
- Head to your email inbox - you'll see a Boost password reset email from us.
- Enter the code from this email into the Boost Top-up app and press Next.
- Choose a new password by following the instructions, and press Confirm.
- Last up, sign into the app - enter your email address and the new password you just created to sign in.
That's it! You'll stay logged in by default. You're now ready to top up in the app once you've added a card, or visit the shops with your in-app barcode.
Remember - your PAYG+ balance will move across automatically. You can also delete the PAYG+ app to keep your smartphone tidy.
Paying for your energy
You can top up with Boost Top-up, the PAYG Smart app – just like you did with the old one. Or with your Boost payment card (or the barcode in the app) at any PayPoint shop.
On PAYG Smart, you’ll need to start topping up your electricity and gas separately. This lets you choose how much credit you’d like to add for each.
We’ve paused issuing new cards while our team works under reduced numbers, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, if you wish to top up at the shop, you can use your barcode in the new app which can be scanned in store.
Please note - you should only need to do this if you are registering for a new app account. If you have been switched from PAYG+ to PAYG Smart then your top up cards should already be preloaded into the app for you.
If you are registering for a new app account or if we have provided you with alternative top up cards then please follow the steps below to add your cards to the app.
Once you have successfully registered and/or logged into the app:
If you are an Electricity only customer
- Select Electricity, press next, enter your top up barcode number into the box and press Save.
If you are a Gas only customer
- Select Gas, press next, enter your top up barcode number into the box and press Save.
If you are a Gas and Electricity customer
- Select Electricity, press next, enter your top up barcode number into the white box and press Save.
- Then select Add Smart top Up card again, select Gas, press next, enter your top up barcode number into the white box and press Save.
Winter Wallet is ending with PAYG+, so we’ve already moved any savings in your wallet to your credit balance. If your move to PAYG Smart has been paused for winter, you won’t be able to save with Winter Wallet.
We'll get in touch about all this beforehand.
Sure thing - that's still possible in the new Boost app. Once you've logged in for the first time, you'll be able to add your bank card(s).
No. You'll pay exactly the same rates for your energy as before.
The PAYG+ features
No, these features won't be available on your new plan. So it might be an idea to pop a reminder in your calendar to make sure you don't forget to top up.
Yes, it'll be exactly the same as before. You'll be able to apply and, if you get it, we'll add it to your electricity meter.
As always, we’ve got your back. If you can’t top up straight away, there’s £5 on each meter to help you. You can activate it using either:
- Your In-Home Display - just press the 'E Credit' button, and your balance will count down to £0 from £5, giving you enough time to top up before it runs out
- Your meter - here's a step by step guide to walk you through how to do it If your £5 emergency credit is running out and you need more time, you can get emergency credit for both fuels. Just call us and we'll activate it for you. Don't forget, if you run out of credit on weekdays between 4pm and 10am, or anytime on weekends and bank holidays - you won't lose power.
It won't be available in the new Boost app. Don't worry, though - you can activate £5 emergency credit straight from each of your meters. Or simply call us if you need more.
If you've got a question we've missed...
Fire away! Call us on 0330 102 7517 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm, Saturday 9am - 1pm) or just email us.
Our friendly team will be happy to help.