Help >>Smart meters>> How will my IHD stop me running out of credit?
How will my IHD stop me running out of credit?
It’s not magic. But it’s not far off. Your In-Home Display (IHD) has a bunch of functions that monitor credit. You can even set alerts to stop that cold shower becoming a reality.
Can the IHD warn me when I’m getting low on credit?
Yep. There are two main ways this will happen:
- A message will appear on your main menu screen. Then, if you don’t top up straightaway, your IHD will send you another message when your credit is almost used up. At that stage it’ll ask if you want to activate your emergency credit.
- You can see for yourself by going to your ‘account info’ screen on your IHD and seeing which LED lights are showing. They are normally green, but as your credit falls they change to amber and then red. Once they reach red, your credit is very low and you might need to activate your emergency credit.
On other screens, the lights show how close you’re getting to your daily use targets – so if you’re checking on your credit levels you need the ‘Account info’ screen.
There aren’t any lights on the top of my IHD – how do I switch them on?
If the lights don’t come on, they’re probably switched off in your ‘Settings’ menu. It’s easy to switch them on:
- Go to the main menu
- Tap the ‘Settings’ menu
- Tap the button by ‘LEDs’ so it changes from ‘Off’ to ‘On’
How do I choose a level for the IHD to alert me when my credit’s getting low?
If you want to change the level at which the IHD alerts you, to give you more time to top up your credit, just use the ‘Settings’ menu. Go to the IHD main menu screen. Tap the ‘Settings’ button in the bottom right corner.
IHD Settings OVO Energy
Tap the button beside ‘Credit Alert’ (bottom left).
IHD Low Credit Alert OVO Energy
For electricity, tap the button beside the electricity lightning symbol.
IHD Settings Keypad OVO Energy
- Use the keypad to enter a credit level – for example, when you’ve got £5 worth of credit left in your electricity meter, then tap the ‘OK’ button.
- This takes you to the ‘Targets’ screen, where you can tap the gas flame symbol to set a gas target.
- When you’ve tapped ‘OK’ on the keypad screen to set your daily gas target, you’ll be back at the ‘Targets’ screen.
- Tap the ‘OK’ button at the foot of the screen. This takes you back to the ‘Settings’ screen and you can tap ‘Menu’ to return to the main menu if you want.
What other targets can I set in the ‘Settings’ screen?
You can also visit this screen to set targets for your carbon emissions. Not to mention your daily energy use. Measure and control your energy use, and – bingo – you could reduce your bills.
Do the lights always refer to my credit level?
No. It depends which screen you’re looking at:
On the main menu and ‘Usage now’ screens the lights refer to the amount of energy you’re using, rather than the amount of credit you have left.